Cattle take over Robertson Blvd at the Chowchilla Western Stampede
CHOWCHILLA, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's not something you see everyday in the Valley, but in Chowchilla, cattle take over the town once a year.
It's not something you see everyday in the Valley, but in Chowchilla, cattle take over the town once a year.
"They like it because they get to see the horses and the cows go down Robertson. It's pretty fun," said Sabrina Labour, Chowchilla.
Sabrina Labour and her children were a part of the crowd who lined Robertson Boulevard to take in the cattle drive. People from across the Valley even showed up to watch the roping action.
"I grew up on a farm in Wyoming and we always used to have the cattle drives, and now I want my boy to experience it and see it and see what they're all about," said Troy Stencel, Fresno.
As the cattle made their way down the busy street, people waved and smiled. It's an event many say brings the community together and it's easy to see that stampede spirit.
"All the people that are out here watching it and enjoying it. It seems to be a tradition and this is our first time, so hopefully we'll make it a tradition," said Troy Stencel, Fresno.
The Western Stampede is one of the few of its kind left in the country. For years, the city shuts has down the Main Street and the sheriff's office even escorts the cattle drive along their route.
"They're behind us 100 percent now, and it's wonderful to see the little kids faces because they get to see the horses and the cattle and us come through there," said Shane Barnes, Chowchilla Western Stampede Chairman.
Many of the riders make this event a family affair, with kids as young as two riding with their moms and dads. Riders who helped drive the cattle through town and to the fairgrounds say it's a unique experience year after year.
The end of the cattle drive really kicks off the Chowchilla Western Stampede and three days filled of rodeo fun. Residents in the community say they hope this tradition sticks around for years to come.
This year marks the 56th Annual Chowchilla Western Stampede.
chowchilla, madera county, entertainment, amanda venegas
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 47 min ago
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 28 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 14 min ago
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals