Who in Hollywood will get an Oscar?
HOLLYWOOD, CA -- The Academy Awards are this Sunday-- right here on ABC7. A lot of great movies and performances this year, so who will take home an Oscar.
All of the buzz is about "Slumdog Millionaire." It started as an underdog, but it's been winning awards.
We've been rooting for Milk because it happened in San Francisco and it's a moving story of human rights.
"But 'Slumdog' has been cleaning up. I think the streets of San Francisco will give way to the streets of Mumbai. "Slumdog Millionaire," best picture," said ABC7's Arts and Entertainment reporter Don Sanchez.
In the best actor race, Marin's Sean Penn was brilliant as Harvey Milk in Milk, but a lot of people are raving about Mickey Rourke in a tough role as The Wrestler.
"It is autobiographical [Milk] -- Rourke the Hollywood bad guy in a comeback. This is a close race, but I have to play hometown favorite with Sean Penn. best actor," said Sanchez.
I was impressed by Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married, a far cry from Princess Diaries. But Kate Winselt gave two stellar performances this year, chosen for "The Reader."
"Kate Winslet has been nominated five times. She'll take best actress," said Sanchez.
The sure shot is the late Heath Ledger for supporting actor in The Dark Knight.
There's a tight battle for supporting actress, but I pick Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. The film came alive when she appeared.
And there will be another Oscar in Emeryville on Monday. Pixar will win best animated feature for Wall-E.
In Hollywood, preparations are underway for the big night. Wolfgang Puck has creative cuisine for the Governor's Ball, and the Elton John and Vanity Fair parties are must stops for a-listers.
There are Oscar events from Danville to Oakland to San Rafael, Larkspur and San Francisco. The biggest party is the Academy of Friends at Fort Mason -- or you can watch it at home starting at 5:00 p.m. Sunday right here on ABC30.
oscars, don sanchez
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent 35 min ago
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River...
15 min ago
- Fire Safety