'No burn days' set to begin
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Valley Air Pollution Control District will start issuing air alerts during the fall and winter months starting tomorrow.
With temperatures expected to drop in the coming months, the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District will issue "no burn day" alerts when the air quality becomes increasingly poor.
"So in the fall and winter we have particulate season, which is small pieces of airborne material. So wood burning is a significant source of emissions of PM and that's why we put the wood burning regulation into place," Janelle Schneider of the Air Pollution Control District said.
PM stands for particulate matter.
Allergist A.M. Aminian says harmful amounts of it can cause or accelerate respiratory problems to peoples lungs.
"It would affect children when they're growing up. The lungs are not going to be healthy lungs. It would even cause cardiovascular disease. The number of heart attacks they think is more when you are living in an area with air pollution," Aminian said.
The air alerts are broken down county.
The Air Pollution Control District says people can apply for exemptions if wood burning is their only source of heat or if they don't have natural gas hooked up to their home.
Violators could face a $50 fine for a first time offense.
"You know we have this year round inversion layer. And that is basically like a high altitude lid atmospherically. That is kept on the Valley, and that keeps everything locked down," Schneider said.
When burning is allowed, the Air District recommends using manufactured fire logs such as Duraflame or dry, seasoned wood to minimize emissions.
The wood burning forecast will be updated daily on the district's website and runs through February.
air quality, environment, tommy tran
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support 37 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos