CRM opens home for families of long term patients
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The critical care units at Fresno's Community Regional Medical center have always worked to assist the families of their patients. That assistance now includes Terry's House, a place to stay just across the street from the hospital in Downtown Fresno.
Terry's House was built with donations from the community and those in the building trades. A few are still at work in the kitchen. The 20 private rooms offer refuge during a time of stress and anxiety.
On Tuesday the home officially opened and the first to seek its comforts was Yvonne Frear of Texas. Her husband Phillip, a long distance trucker, was in a terrible accident on the Grapevine last week and brought to the burn center at Community Regional Medical Center.
"His truck, his cab, burst into flames -- in the firery flames -- and he was trapped inside," said Frear.
She and her mother-in-law arrived in Fresno the next day and had not left the hospital until she learned of Terry's House this week.
"If they needed me or if I just want to visit I can just literally run across the street. I just don't' want there to be too much distance with him being there."
Because the refuge is associated with the hospital every guest need not worry about their safety when leaving the hospital by themselves.
"From the area where their family member is being treated they can call security; security will come to the entrance to the hospital and take them in a golf cart and bring this across the street to the back door," said the Manager of Terry's House Denise Goodman.
Terry's House is open; offering peace of mind, a comfortable room and a stress-free place to fall down.
"It's not our home but it's definitely gonna be our home away from home. And it's absolutely beautiful," said Frear.
community regional medical center, fresno downtown, fresno, fresno county, health, nancy osborne
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos