New strain of Norovirus sweeping the US
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An urgent warning from health officials say there is a new strain of a stomach bug sweeping the US.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that within the last four months there have been more than 140 outbreaks in the US that have been caused by the new Sydney strain of Norovirus.
The contagious bug causes bouts of diarrhea and vomiting.
Health officials say the new strain isn't unusually dangerous, but many people may struggle not be able to fight off its gut-wrenching effects.
Norovirus often spreads in places like schools, cruise ships and nursing homes.
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 56 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit 27 min ago
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly