New strain of Norovirus sweeping the US
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An urgent warning from health officials say there is a new strain of a stomach bug sweeping the US.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that within the last four months there have been more than 140 outbreaks in the US that have been caused by the new Sydney strain of Norovirus.
The contagious bug causes bouts of diarrhea and vomiting.
Health officials say the new strain isn't unusually dangerous, but many people may struggle not be able to fight off its gut-wrenching effects.
Norovirus often spreads in places like schools, cruise ships and nursing homes.
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno 30 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash 22 min ago
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe 44 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire