New strain of Norovirus sweeping the US
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An urgent warning from health officials say there is a new strain of a stomach bug sweeping the US.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that within the last four months there have been more than 140 outbreaks in the US that have been caused by the new Sydney strain of Norovirus.
The contagious bug causes bouts of diarrhea and vomiting.
Health officials say the new strain isn't unusually dangerous, but many people may struggle not be able to fight off its gut-wrenching effects.
Norovirus often spreads in places like schools, cruise ships and nursing homes.
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove 18 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman