(Ivanhoe Broadcast News) -- It's you versus gravity. a quick new workout is popping up in health clubs all over the country.
Firefighter Tony Pittarelli is trying a new workout using machines that use gravity to build muscle.
"Less weights, less plates, you don't have to have a spotter. You can just go in there and do a quick workout and that's it," he says about the system.
Brenda Rule-Osburn, a personal trainer, uses the equipment with some of her clients.
"It's a great piece of equipment that can go into such a small space, and you can work every body part," she says.
The average firefighter going into battle with heavy gear can weigh up to 300 pounds. It's no wonder stress-related heart disease is the leading cause of firefighter deaths. Injuries are another big concern.
"So, the more movement, the more range and training of other muscles, the less prone we are to injury," Pittarelli says.
Acording to research, this type of incline resistance training is an effective tool for people recovering from lower body injuries. The machines allow the spine to be fully supported and exercisers rely on using their core muscles to maintain balance. A strong core can prevent injury and improve posture. (:08)
"People with back problems, hip replacements, things like that, this is a great piece of equipment that keeps you stabilized," says Rule-Osburn.
So, whether you have pain or just looking for a quick and effective workout, gravity is apparently holding its ground.
This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, which offers Medical Alerts by e-mail every day of the week. To subscribe, click on: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.
For more information, please contact:
efi Sports Medicine
health watch, margot kim
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 27 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 12 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt