Rehydration Wonder Drug?
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Of all the deadly conditions out there, who would've thought dehydration was one of the most lethal? Reports show during any given flu season, basic dehydration can kill more than 300 children. Now, doctors have the hardware to drop that number for good.
Alyssa McBean's recent bout with pneumonia rattled mother Danelle, who is an ER nurse.
"Very different, when you're on the other side of the fence," Danelle Galt-McBean told Ivanhoe. "It's easy to take care of people. It's not easy to be taken care of."
Dehydration dried-out Alyssa's veins, making an IV impossible. Peter Antevy, M.D., from Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Miami, Fla., turned to Hylenex for help.
"We have the ability to give fluids by placing the fluids right into the skin," Dr. Antevy told Ivanhoe.
The medication is injected into a child's back, beneath the skin -- allowing the body to absorb fluids faster.
It's good news for the 1.5 million dehydrated kids visiting ERs each year.
"People, when they first hear about this concept, question, 'Could it really be that easy?'" Dr. Antevy said.
Studies show it takes two minutes to start Hylenex, which fully rehydrates a patient in 2.5 hours. A standard IV starts working in 30 minutes and takes 5.5 hours to fully rehydrate the same patient.
Experts say use could increase staff efficiency and cut down wait time in the ER. Also, doctors wouldn't have to search for veins in a child's neck or thigh.
Full FDA approval of the Hylenex drug could come as soon as early next year.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
health care, health insurance, health watch, margot kim
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View' 27 min ago
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit 27 min ago
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed 27 min ago
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings