Yoga used to help teen with Asthma
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Asthma is the sixth most common chronic condition in the U.S. and it accounts for more than 10-million absences from school each year.
Breathlessness, a tight chest, wheezing and coughing. An asthma attack can be triggered by many different things.
Now researchers at the University Of Cincinnati are saying a way out of asthma episodes is to get close and personal with your spiritual side. They say teenagers that practice yoga and meditation are better able to manage their symptoms. They found spiritual coping affected mental and physical health outcomes as well as anxiety and quality of life.
"Kids these days, especially teens are under a lot of stress. When we are under stress we tend to hold our breath or breathe more shallowly and in yoga we teach you how to breathe more deeply," said Audrey Tan with Fig Garden Yoga.
Tan demonstrates one popular inversion pose called the downward facing dog -- it helps get more oxygen to the bottom of the lungs and increases blood flow at the top, making for healthier blood tissue.
Another easy way to increase oxygen to the lungs -- and this is something kids can do during a break from class and adults can do at work -- is conscious breathing: "Sit up straight, chest out and breathe in and out through the nose easily."
Even though yoga has a lot of benefits for teens -- better breathing and posture, more flexibility and strength -- Tan said it must be done in moderation because teen's bodies are still forming. "You don't want to be doing a lot of forceful stretching because you can actually overstretch the muscles."
Researchers say the findings on the benefits of yoga for asthmatic kids could help physicians and other health care providers consider alternative medicines to treat asthma in adults as well.
health watch, graciela moreno
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after stabbing
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps 10 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help 4 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 33 min ago
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart