Study: Food diaries could be key to losing weight
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Many of us spend a lot of time at the gym trying to lose weight, but a new study says a food diary may be the secret weapon to really losing those pounds.
Researchers at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research center tracked 123 overweight or obese women as they tried to lose weight. At the end of the year, they lost on average about 11 percent of their starting weight.
"If you do a food journal, what you're going to find out is where all those extra demons are coming from. If you watch what you eat, if you write down what you eat, you're going to realize where you are overeating," Rhonda Murphy, Rhonda's Fitness owner.
Trainer and local business owner Rhonda Murphy says food journaling is a practice she's used for her clients and for herself for years.
Whether it's writing it down on a piece of paper or going online to enter in your daily diet, fitness experts say anything that gets you thinking about what you are eating and the amount of calories its contains has a startling effect.
"I think your nutrition, what you're eating is 80 to 90 percent of losing weight. Exercise is an important component, but i really think the nutrition is a lot higher up there," Murphy said.
Valley resident Juanita Jones says using a food journal has caused her to think twice about her food choices.
"On the way home because I live in the foothills, it's easy to stop by fast food places to get something for the ride home, but I won't do it. I'll wait to I get home, make myself something like a salad," said Juanita Jones.
Fitness experts say by combining exercise, proper nutrition and food journaling you can go a long way in your weight loss journey.
health watch, amanda venegas
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe