New treatment for dry eye
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- For some people, "dry eye" can make even blinking a pain.
With every blink, dry eye patient Diana Galson-Kooy said, "I felt like I had a piece of glass in my eye."
Galson-Kooy has suffered with dry eye disease for years. The problem can be caused by things like prolonged contact lens wear, birth control, anti-histamines, and even staring a screen. Evaporative dry eye affects the glands that make tears.
"Her tears that she's making are leaving her eyes much quicker than she should be," said Dr. Ernest Kornmehl, MD Surgeon.
Dr. Kornmehl says, like Diana, the majority of his patients come in for dry eye treatments. For many, he's now recommending a treatment called Lipi-Flow. "It takes 12 minutes and patients go to work immediately after the procedure," said Dr. Kornmehl.
Cups surround the eyelids. They heat up and pulsate to melt blockages in her tear glands. "It doesn't hurt. It just is strange," said Dr. Kornmehl.
In the FDA trial, 79-percent of Lipi-Flow patients showed improvement. The doctor says those improvements can last nine to 15-months. Some Lipi-Flow patients, like Diana, will still need additional treatments. But for others, drops or ointments will work.
Right after Diana's treatment, she said her eyes felt lubricated. It's brought some much needed tears to her eyes.
health watch, margot kim
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos