New treatment helps neuropathy patients
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The diabetes rate in the Valley continues to be one of the highest in the country.
Many diabetics suffer from related conditions. Action News Anchor Margot Kim shows us how a new therapy can get rid of the pain and get people back on their feet.
Some diabetics describe the pain like electricity or pins and needles. Others feel like their feet are on fire!
"The pain would shoot right through my legs," patient Eddie Jeffcoat said. Just walking across the street was almost impossible for Jeffcoat.
"I might not make it back to the other side," Jeffcoat said.
Jeffcoat has neuropathy. Damaged nerves in his feet have left him homebound for the last three years.
"It came to where I couldn't stand. I couldn't walk," Jeffcoat said.
But after a treatment he is walking his dog, Bear. He is even enjoying his treadmill time. Jeffcoat has been able to achieve this in just 90 days .
"It's incredible, most people start seeing results literally with the first treatment." Dr. Marc Ott a chiropractic physician said.
Ott said the new treatment for feet and hands centers around an electric stimulator called the ReBuilder. It measures how a person's nerves are abnormally firing, then sends an electrical frequency to get the nerve back into a normal firing pattern.
"So for each patient the way the unit actually fires is different. It builds a pattern that's specific to you," Ott said.
The therapy includes exercises on a vibrating platform to help restore balance and neurological control.
"It's pretty astonishing to watch the results these patients experience and the lifestyle changes that it makes for them," Ott said.
While still not up to full speed, Jeffcoat lost 40 pounds and his pain level's been cut in half.
"90 days ago the pain was a ten. It hurt real bad. I'm at a five," Jeffcoat said.
This home unit could help reduce the pain even more. In the meantime Jeffcoat said the ReBuilder has made life a lot more bearable.
fresno, fresno county, health watch, margot kim
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 33 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys 5 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 19 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos