Autism Help: a Robot for Robbie
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Parents cherish bedtime stories and games with their little ones, but children with autism can't always focus during those special times.
Now, researchers are learning how robots could play a role in helping these kids learn how to pay attention.
With glowing eyes and a high-tech voice, a robot grabs the attention of Robbie Pruitt.
Robbie has autism. Researchers at Vanderbilt University are using a robot to teach him how to focus on people and objects in his environment.
"Try to get a kid to clean up when he can't pay attention to what's on the floor. It's difficult," Sabrina Pruitt, Robbie's mother said.
Dr. Zachary Warren says kids with autism seem to be drawn to technology. So robots could be key in teaching social interaction.
Children with autism are spending much more time looking at the robot than they would be a human counterpart," Zachary Warren, PhD, Clinical Psychologist and Autism Researcher at Vanderbilt University said.
The robot directs Robbie to look at a wall monitor. Smart sensors detect that Robbie followed the prompt, so he is rewarded with a video.
The robot also directs Robbie's gaze by pointing.
"We've seen that the children are responding very accurately to the robot prompt," Dr. Warren said.
Tiring work, but Robbie's parents say his interaction skills are improving.
In a study published this year, researchers found that children with autism paid more attention to the robot than the human therapist and followed its instructions almost as well. Researchers say robots could ease the workload of autism therapists and they hope to study whether robots are a cost effective way to accelerate other learning skills as well.
If you would like more information, please contact: Craig Boerner Media Director Vanderbilt University Medical Center (615) 322-4747 firstname.lastname@example.org
fresno, fresno county, health watch, margot kim
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting 40 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified 19 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos