Flu season is just around the corner
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Flu vaccination is no longer merely a choice between a jab in the arm or a squirt in the nose. This fall, some brands promise a little extra protection.
For the first time, certain vaccines will guard against four strains of flu rather than the usual three.
Called quadrivalent vaccines, these brands may prove more popular for children than their parents. That's because kids tend to catch the newly added strain more often. And for the first time this fall -- places like the Fresno County Department of Health and the Veterans Hospital of Fresno will carry the shots.
These four-in-one vaccines are so new they'll make up only a fraction of the nation's supply of vaccine, so if you want a dose, better start looking early.
Other options available this year include egg-free shots some brewed just for the 65-and-older crowd, and a brand that targets the needle-phobic with just a skin-deep prick. But not every hospital, doctor or retail healthcare center will carry all seven varieties.
flu, health watch, linda mumma
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals