Amigo Innovative Breast Cancer Surgery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Undergoing any surgery can be difficult, but having to go back again can be un-nerving. Now a world class operating suite is sparing some patients a second trip under the knife.
"I've never been in a hospital, I've never had surgery, I've never had anesthesia so I was really nervous," Jane Davis, Breast Cancer Patient said.
Jane Davis would've been part of the forty percent of US women to undergo a second surgery, but the AMIGO allowed her doctor to take an MRI during her lumpectomy; to make sure he had cancer free margins. "An MRI machine comes in from the ceiling and then looks at the area that I removed to see if I removed the tumor in its entirety," Doctor Mehra Golshan, MD, at Brigham and Women's Hospital said.
The three room O.R. suite has an electronically controlled operating table mounted with an MRI compatible anesthesia delivery system and other advanced mobile imaging devices. Next door is a PET and CT room that scans the entire body.
"There is no other operating room where you can actually use an MRI or Pet Scan at the same time," Doctor Golshan explained.
Surgical teams can view all of the patients' images on large LCD monitors making surgeries more precise. The AMIGO is also used for other treatments that include brain surgery, radiation treatment for prostate cancer and gynecological tumors.
health watch, margot kim
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos