Amigo Innovative Breast Cancer Surgery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Undergoing any surgery can be difficult, but having to go back again can be un-nerving. Now a world class operating suite is sparing some patients a second trip under the knife.
"I've never been in a hospital, I've never had surgery, I've never had anesthesia so I was really nervous," Jane Davis, Breast Cancer Patient said.
Jane Davis would've been part of the forty percent of US women to undergo a second surgery, but the AMIGO allowed her doctor to take an MRI during her lumpectomy; to make sure he had cancer free margins. "An MRI machine comes in from the ceiling and then looks at the area that I removed to see if I removed the tumor in its entirety," Doctor Mehra Golshan, MD, at Brigham and Women's Hospital said.
The three room O.R. suite has an electronically controlled operating table mounted with an MRI compatible anesthesia delivery system and other advanced mobile imaging devices. Next door is a PET and CT room that scans the entire body.
"There is no other operating room where you can actually use an MRI or Pet Scan at the same time," Doctor Golshan explained.
Surgical teams can view all of the patients' images on large LCD monitors making surgeries more precise. The AMIGO is also used for other treatments that include brain surgery, radiation treatment for prostate cancer and gynecological tumors.
health watch, margot kim
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up 26 min ago
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Accuweather Forecast
40 min ago