Health Coach: Pointers from the pros
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than 66 percent of men and women in the U.S. are overweight. Worse yet, a third of all adults are obese. Getting in control of your weight can feel impossible without the right help, which could be why more and more people are turning to health coaches to improve their quality of life.
Kim Wilson is opening doors to better health. She's a certified health coach with a passion for teaching clients to eat smart and live happy.
"It's not just about diets, but it's also about how to manage your stress levels and it's also about the emotional side of eating," Kim Wilson said.
A health coach digs to find the cause of your unhealthy eating and helps you break bad habits, create manageable goals, track progress, and overcome roadblocks.
"My night time snack that I loved, it's embarrassing to admit, was hot fiery Cheetos and several glasses of wine," Liz Smith, a health coach client said.
Liz was tired, overweight, and ready for a change so she turned to Wilson for help. She slowly began replacing her daily dose of junk food with green leafy vegetables and fresh juices.
"I just wanted to try to get me healthy on the inside. It was not necessarily about weight loss," Liz said.
"People are tired of feeling tired. A lot of people are bloated and our digestive systems are very impaired," Wilson said.
Wilson said a good starting point when shopping for food is if the label shows more than five ingredients, forget it! Also, make sure sugar is not listed in the top two ingredients. Keep a list of ten things to do, other than eat, like taking a walk or playing with your pet, so you can avoid eating when stressed or bored.
Liz lost 15 pounds in two months without starving.
"I think I am eating as much as I ever had. It's the quality of food," Liz said, and those nightly cravings for Cheetos are gone.
Hourly sessions with a health coach can range from 50 to 200 dollars an hour. Be sure to ask about their training and certifications before choosing one.
health watch, margot kim
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos