Terry Pettis' Murder Trial Begins
May 22, 2006 -- He's the former Fresno State basketball player now on trial for murder. Monday, the trial for Terry Pettis got underway.
Pettis is accused of killing college student Rene Abbott.
Abbott's boyfriend, Kent Wolf, was sitting next to her when she was shot and killed. He has said that the shooter was Terry Pettis.
But Monday afternoon in court, Wolf admitted he is not 100% sure.
The prosecutor pointed out Terry Pettis in court and said he was the one who killed Rene Abbott near Fresno State in 2004.
More than a drug deal gone bad, the prosecution says it was a planned robbery by the former Fresno State basketball player that turned into murder.
"The defendant shot and killed Ms. Abbott over $300 of marijuana," said prosecutor John Skiles.
Abbott was parked in a car with her boyfriend, Kent Wolf. Wolf testified he was in the middle of selling marijuana to someone when another person approached their car.
The prosecutor asked, "When's the first time you realized something was not right?"
Wolf responded, "When I looked up and seen Terry Pettis running, or someone, running up with a gun."
Rene Abbott was shot once in the head and died.
The prosecution says Pettis made off with the drugs, but witnesses gave different descriptions of the shooter in court.
The defense says Pettis wasn't the only person in the area the day of the shooting.
The other witness in the car said former Fresno State player Jonathan Woods gave him money to buy the marijuana.
The prosecution could wrap up its case as early as Wednesday and it could go to the jury as early as Friday.
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos