8 Valley Men Are Arrested Suspected Of Plotting To Overthrow The Government In Laos
06/04/2007 (KFSN) -- General Vang Pao, a prominent Hmong leader with close ties to the valley, is one of the men accused of the violent plot.
Neighbors said federal agents swarmed a house about 10 Monday morning. Those who live on the street say they showed up in military type vehicles with full body armor on and large guns.
It's just one of 8 places searched in the Central Valley in an investigation that has international ties. One by one FBI and ATF agents raided several homes and at least one business.
Government Officials are tying together an investigation that has spanned 6 months. Under arrest are 8 people, including several prominent Hmong leaders.
77 year old General Vang Pao is being charged as the ringleader for plotting to overthrow the communist government of Laos. Also charged are Lo Cha Thao of Clovis, Hue Vang of Fresno, Lou Tao of Sacramento, Youa True Vang of Sanger, Chung Yang Tao of Fresno, Chue Lowe of Stockton and Seng Vue of Fresno.
Federal Officials say the group was planning to make an initial purchase of 125 AK-47 assault rifles, 20 thousand rounds of ammunition and crates of smoke grenades.
United States law says it's illegal to plan to overthrow a government while on U.S. soil.
Also arrested was a Sacramento area resident who federal agents say conspired to broker the weapons for hte group.
Residents at the homes that were searched Monday morning say they did not know why federal agents showed up.
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned