Truck Collides with Amtrak Train in Hanford
Hanford, CA (KFSN) -- Amtrak passengers described the frightening scene after a truck slammed into a speeding train in the South Valley.
The crash happened just outside of Hanford at Kansas and 10th avenues.
Railroad crews worked to get the train back on the track hours after the accident that caused a colorful mess. There was a yellow splash after a violent crash. Lemon peels spilled all over the train tracks. One passenger car derailed. The impact bounced more than 100 passengers out of their seats.
"There was a group of children up in front of the car on some type of school excursion and little children were flying through the air. It was bad."
"I thought I was gonna die. I thought the train was gonna flip over because it went up, derailed and went down again."
Investigators say warning bells were sounding off and the crossing guard arms were down. The flatbed truck went right through, knocking down the guard arms and knocking loose pieces of the train.
The train tipped over, hit a freight train and almost fell back onto the track. About 20 passengers suffered minor injuries and needed treatment.
The rest took busses to the Hanford station where they boarded another train and continued their trips three and a half hours late, with frightening images coming home with them.
"People went flying and objects were all over. It was just totally frightening."
The C.H.P. says the truck driver is in a Fresno hospital with just moderate injuries. They have no idea why he drove straight into the train, but investigators say he was going between 25 and 55 mph when the collision occurred.
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder