Fire Destroys Part of Dos Palos High
Dos Palos, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly 100-fire fighters stamped out the flames at a North Valley high school Thursday afternoon. The fire broke out shortly after 1:00 p.m. at Dos Palos High. Flames covered a wood shop and endangered other classrooms.
Firefighters from several different agencies have managed to get this fire under control now. But early Thursday afternoon the flames were raging, and you could see the smoke for miles. Now administrators are trying to take in the full extent of the damage and figure out where to go from here.
Orange flames and black smoke billowed out of the Ag building at Dos Palos High School as firefighters tried to save an IT building filled with computers. Fire officials say the blaze also damaged the Auto Shop, and the Wood Shop was destroyed.
Ryan Williams with CALFIRE said, "From the initial size up, it was the Wood Shop, involved was where it first started."
When the fire alarm went off, students were at lunch ... many off campus ... so teachers tried to round them up in a safe area before letting them go home.
Dos Palos High School Principal Greg Thompson said, "Kids with cars were able to get their cars out here. We had a lot of parents coming to get kids, and then we had a lot of kids who ride the bus, so my Vice Principal took all of those students to the elementary school so we could have them picked up over there."
Sisters Justine and Hayley Berry say they were worried not only about their school, but also their nearby house.
Berry said, "I was really scared cause I live right here and I was thinking what if comes across the street. I was freaking out."
Administrators say they're just thankful no one was hurt.
The cause of the fire is still unknown at this point. Administrators say they've told teachers to plan on having a full day of classes Friday, but they will call staff members and students at home if that changes.
merced county, dos palos, fire, local, sara sandrik
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy 26 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children 9 min ago
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hours after contact drop
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 3 min ago
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- Fresno kidnap, sex assault suspect changes plea
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Good Sports: Clovis High baseball
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting...
25 min ago