Chief Dyer: Delivery Driver Murder 'Random Act of Violence'
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's Police chief is calling the murder of a delivery truck driver a random act of violence. 27-year-old Richard Hernandez was shot and killed while he was making a beer delivery at a Central Fresno convenience store.
Fresno Police rarely classify a murder as a random act of violence. In this case, investigators say the two murder suspects have no connection to Richard Hernandez and one of them shot Hernandez in cold blood.
Investigators don't understand what motivated two suspects to kill the driver of a beer delivery truck. After a massive search in Central Fresno Monday morning, police arrested 27-year-old Joey Lopez and 20-year-old Christopher Gonzalez. Police say Lopez denied being involved, but Gonzalez gave a statement- saying the two men drove a red truck to a convenience store at Palm and Belmont.
While Gonzalez was using a pay phone, he said Lopez walked out of the truck and fired several shots into Richard Hernandez's back. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said at a press conference, "Hernandez fell to the ground at that time. Gonzalez and Lopez then ran back to the pick up, got inside and drove out of the parking lot."
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer says surveillance cameras captured the entire crime on tape. What baffles the police, Hernandez's murder appears to be unprovoked. Dyer said, "There's no indication that the victim knew either Gonzalez or Lopez. What it appears to be at this time is a random act of violence which is rarely seen in murder cases."
Hernandez's worked for Valley Wide Beverage Company- a large wholesaler in Fresno. So far, the company has not commented about Hernandez's murder.
Both murder suspects are in jail. The district attorneys office could file charges in this case as early as Wednesday afternoon.
fresno, fresno central, crimetracker, local, andres araiza
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals