Los Banos To Get New Courthouse
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County is one step closer to replacing its overcrowded and outdated courthouse in Los Banos.
It's a project that many people say is long overdue but one that also comes with some controversy.
The Merced County Superior Court Branch in Los Banos houses the only courtroom on the growing Westside.
"Usually it's so crowded, you're in here 4 or 5 hours," said Robert Bowen of Los Banos.
And to make matters worse, the building is also stuffed with several offices.
"We have outgrown it, and when I say we, the Sheriff's Office, District Attorney, Probation, Public Defender, and the Courthouse are all under one roof in Los Banos," said Sheriff Mark Pazin.
Sheriff Mark Pazin says the 30-year-old building also lacks modern security features.
But now the State Public Works Board has formally approved plans to replace it with a new $32.6 million facility.
"We're expecting a facility that's much larger than the current facility. We're considering whether we're going to add space for juries and jury trials," said Judge Kirihara, Merced Co. Presiding Judge.
But Kirihara admits not everyone is happy to see the plans for the nearly 30,000 square foot facility -- or other new courthouses across the state -- at a time when existing courts are being forced to close one day a month to save money.
"There are those who feel the court construction money should be diverted to those ongoing operations because it's anticipated that there may be even further reductions in the next fiscal year," said Kirihara.
However Judge Kirihara points out that the construction money comes from a state bond that was passed specifically for new courthouses.
He also adds that the projects will help stimulate the economy by creating jobs, and they will cost less to complete now than later.
An advisory group will start the process of choosing a site for the new Los Banos Courthouse next month, and it's expected to be open for business by 2014. Construction on the new courthouse is expected to get underway in about two years.
los banos, merced county, court, local
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51 36 min ago
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley 18 min ago
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos