Dos Palos Family Victims of a Twisted Criminal
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police say a con artist convinced a Dos Palos family he would pay for their daughter's funeral, and then left them with a seven thousand dollar bill.
The parents of Rosie Mack said a man claiming to be a man named Benny Gallo offered to pay for their daughter's funeral after she died earlier in December. But the bills went unpaid, and they soon learned the man was actually named Ben Ford.
Police said the 44-year-old has a long criminal history. They believe he pretended to be a generous member of the well-known Gallo family so other business associates in town would trust him with their money.
Gale Mack said, "I was in awe, totally in awe, because this man said he was going to pay it all. Then when we found out that it wasn't paid for, we were just crushed."
Ford was arrested on Christmas Eve for a parole violation. He may now face added fraud charges and even one count of elder abuse.
crimetracker, dos palos, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka 25 min ago
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 21 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88