Dos Palos Family Victims of a Twisted Criminal
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police say a con artist convinced a Dos Palos family he would pay for their daughter's funeral, and then left them with a seven thousand dollar bill.
The parents of Rosie Mack said a man claiming to be a man named Benny Gallo offered to pay for their daughter's funeral after she died earlier in December. But the bills went unpaid, and they soon learned the man was actually named Ben Ford.
Police said the 44-year-old has a long criminal history. They believe he pretended to be a generous member of the well-known Gallo family so other business associates in town would trust him with their money.
Gale Mack said, "I was in awe, totally in awe, because this man said he was going to pay it all. Then when we found out that it wasn't paid for, we were just crushed."
Ford was arrested on Christmas Eve for a parole violation. He may now face added fraud charges and even one count of elder abuse.
crimetracker, dos palos, local
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 17 hurt
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting 16 min ago
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network