Layoffs Loom for Fresno County Sheriff's Office
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sheriff Margaret Mims announced tax revenues are down and her department faces a nearly $4-million budget deficit. The Sheriff said that number includes money her department is accused overbilling for court house security.
Sheriff Margaret Mims now faces a nearly $4-million dollar deficit. The Sheriff's Department has already endured a round of layoffs. Last year they lost 30 correctional officers ... 13 community service officers ... but Sheriff Mims managed to avoid laying off her deputies. Sheriff Mims said this time the situation is different, "There are going to be layoffs, everything is on the table, including professional staff, correctional officers and deputy sheriffs."
Sheriff Mims faces a financial assault on a different front and it's heading to mediation. Action News obtained a state audit last year. Inside, the document accuses the Sheriff of over-billing the Fresno Court system by more than a million dollars for providing court security.
Presiding Judge Bruce Smith told Action News over email, they still want the Sheriff to pay back the money but the exact total is not known. Smith wrote, "There is an amount due to training expenditures and payments which amount to approximately $1-million and another amount for overtime/replacement costs which involves a very detailed review that is not yet completed."
Both the Sheriff and court system hope to resolve their financial issue without filing a lawsuit. But, the overbilling problem will only add to the Sheriff's budget deficit.
fresno county sheriff department, fresno county, economy, budget cuts, local, andres araiza
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 57 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- HWY 41 opens near Tenaya Lodge after closed due to snow
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow