Easton Residents Band Together to Fight Crime
Easton, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County Sheriff said Monday night's community meeting was one of the biggest she has ever seen. Around 75 people attended. People living in Easton said they'll do whatever it takes to stop this recent crime spree.
Dozens of people packed into an Easton donut shop Monday night for a community meeting. All of them said they're concerned about a recent string of home burglaries in the Easton area.
People like Victoria Salwasser, whose home was nearly broken into less than two weeks ago. She said, "Two windows were broken, but I have a burglar alarm, so they ran away."
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office said between December 30th and January 3rd, there have been six related burglaries in the Easton community.
In one case, the suspects kicked down the door of a home and were confronted by the homeowner who fired a gun at them. The suspects weren't hit. They got away and haven't been seen since.
John Medina lives next door and said the suspects stopped at his home first. He said, "They just knocked real hard, they ring the doorbell several times, hoping nobody answers. I answered the door, so they went next door."
Action News: "What did they say when you answered?"
Medina said, "Do you want lawn service?"
Easton residents said they're encouraged by both the sheriff's and community support, which was demonstrated by the turnout at Monday night's meeting.
And while Sheriff Margaret Mims admits manpower is down because of a recent string of layoffs, she has assured the Easton community that they're still a high priority. "My commitment is to have our current staffing remain the same in the field. We might have to take personnel from other areas, but our current staffing level has to stay in place not only for the safety of the citizens, but for the safety of the deputy sheriffs out there working," said Sheriff Mims.
The Sheriff's Office said it has recovered the vehicle which was used in all of the burglaries. That truck had been stolen. They have a good description of the suspects, but at this point have made no arrests.
crimetracker, easton, fresno county sheriff department, local, shannon handy
- Teen girl found dead in Madera Co stream 1 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 68th Annual Candy Cane Lane Parade
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos