Snowfall Forced Closure of Bass Lake School District
Bass Lake, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Valley's winter storm shut down a small school district in the mountains. The Bass Lake Joint Union Elementary School District has seven campuses which closed Friday.
Bass Lake Elementary School sat quiet and undisturbed. A foot of snow covered its driveway. Students and parents used the day off to play in the snow that accumulated overnight.
Cecelia Oetinger is a teacher at Wasuma Elementary School ... a campus closed due to the winter storm. She said, "The snow day was they were afraid the roads were dangerous and two, the schools didn't have power, so we got a break. haha."
Bass Lake Elementary School is located on a small windy road just like many of the homes in the area. We accessed this road just fine Friday afternoon with our four wheel drive vehicle. But neighbors say this morning roadways like these were impassable.
While students enjoy the day off now ... unfortunately they'll have to make it up sometime this school year.
storm, snow, bass lake, local, andres araiza
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos