Hundreds in Mariposa County are Without Power
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Downed power lines and trees can be seen everywhere in Fish Camp. They've gotten several feet of snow in the past week.
PG&E said they are working overtime to restore power to the area, but it's been a difficult task because some of the damage is in very remote areas.
Lynn Keller said a generator is the only thing keeping her and her husband Bob from freezing inside their Fish Camp home. She said, "As long as you have generators and gas to make them go, you're in pretty good shape."
The Kellers, along with hundreds of others in the surrounding area have been without power since Wednesday afternoon, and most of their homes are buried in snow.
Bob Keller said, "But the absence of electric power has been almost a total disaster for people who live here who don't have a generator."
People without power have sought refuge at the nearby Tenaya Lodge.
The hotel is also relying on generators to stay open for business even PG&E is using the lodge to help crews restore electricity to the area.
Tenaya Lodge spokesperson Dennis Rupard said, "They did. Yesterday, it's one of the helicopters that helping them at this point. He had called for permission earlier and he landed in the parking lot."
PG&E officials said they have brought in thirty extra crews to deal with this series of storm related power outages. But, it hasn't been easy.
In mountain areas like Fish Camp, downed lines and broken poles are in remote areas, which have multiplied the time it takes to make those repairs.
Jeff Smith with PG&E said, "It's a question of wanting to make sure we can restore power to those customers as quickly as possible while still making sure we have the conditions for our crews to work safely."
PG&E said there are more than 600 customers still without power in the Yosemite, Wawona and Fish Camp areas. Fortunately, most of the homes are vacation homes and are uninhabited at the moment.
PG&E expects the power to be back on by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.
pg&e, wawona, mariposa county, local, shannon handy
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight 23 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man