Iranians in Fresno Rally for Democracy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's Iranian community held a rally in North Fresno Sunday as they prepared to observe a somber anniversary.
A couple dozen people held signs and banners near River Park Sunday afternoon, showing their support for the Iranian people.
This week marks the anniversary of the Iranian revolution and decades later, Iranians across the globe continue to rally for democracy.
Members of the valley's Iranian community say they feel their rallies are changing people's perceptions about Iran.
"Before the election, the picture that Americans had of Iranian people, they considered us a bunch of terrorists. That is all they knew. Now the picture has changed. Now they see us as a people who believe in democracy, who want freedom, and they believe in human rights," Parvin Malek, Organizer.
During Sunday's demonstration, many held signs featuring the face of Neda, a young woman who was killed in protests following last year's election.
Video of her death was posted on the internet and she has since turned into a face of the opposition movement.
iran, fresno, local
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law 9 min ago
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Schools prepare for new transgender law
12 min ago
- Accuweather Forecast
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos