First Five BASIC Giveaway
Raisin City, California (KFSN) -- It's hard to imagine a child in this cold wintery weather without a coat or warm pajamas -- but it happens all over the Valley.
With the help of a local organization a two-year-old still keeps warm with a coat his mother received last year through First Five's program -- Bringing Accessible Supplies into Communities or "BASIC".
Raisin City resident Alejandra Cruz said, "They provided jackets for my kids it's a great help because they grow so fast."
Many of the parents who live in Raisin City walk to the local elementary school for BASIC's School Readiness Program.
Kendra Rogers with First Five Fresno County said there are families all over the Valley in need. "Some of our families have to choose from buying diapers for the week or paying PG&E or putting food on the table," said Rogers.
In a warehouse boxes are stacked high -- full of diapers, pajamas and bags of children's coats ready to be given away. On Saturday First Five will distribute more than half a million diapers, 48-hundred coats for children, 17-hundred sets of pajamas, 27-hundred packages of wipes and three-thousand food boxes to 14 rural communities.
"It's a big surprise to see how many families come for that help," said Cruz.
In order to participate families must pre-register by receiving a voucher from local non-profit agencies first. Rogers said vouchers will give families a greater connection that lasts long after the giveaway is over.
"So you don't just have people waiting in line and walking away. People are forming those relationships because it's all about sustaining relationships in the community," said Rogers.
Cruz said parents here are already making connections. "The jacket they give me I can give back to them to provide for another child," said Cruz.
Every Neighborhood Partnership
Koinonia Worship Center
raisin city, fresno county, local, deshaunta bullock
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals