Schwarzenegger's Statement on Death of Fresno Co. Deputy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger released the following statement regarding the death of Fresno County Sheriff's Department Deputy Joel Wahlenmaier of Fresno, CA:
"Deputy Joel Wahlenmaier was a dedicated officer who committed his life to protecting his community, always putting the safety of others above his own. Maria and I are deeply saddened by this tragic loss of such an admirable Californian. We send our thoughts and prayers to Joel's family, friends and fellow officers during this very difficult time."
Wahlenmaier, 49, died February 25, as a result of gunshot wounds sustained while assisting a fellow deputy and members of CAL FIRE with the service of a CAL FIRE warrant in Eastern Fresno County. He is survived by his wife, Bev, daughter, Amy, 24, son, Austin, 21, and his parents, all of Fresno.
In honor of Deputy Wahlenmaier, Capitol flags will be flown at half-staff.
arnold schwarzenegger, crimetracker, shooting, fresno, fresno police department, fresno county sheriff department, local
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos