Maria Shriver Visits Fresno for We Connect Event
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- California First Lady Maria Shriver commented on the health care reform bill Sunday during her visit to the "We Connect" event at the Fresno Fairgrounds.
"I think it's a historic day in Washington and the nation but I think it's a bigger day right here in Fresno because we're reaching out to thousands of families whose lives are going to be better, today."
Sunday was the last day of the weekend long "We Connect". During the event more than 26,000 people were helped with resources like free resume assistance and home ownership counseling, as well as the earned income tax credit.
"The goal of this is to bring the government and services that exist to help working families to the actual family themselves," said Shriver.
The Community Food Bank was also on hand distributing fresh produce to families in need.
"We Connect Weekend" was presented by the California Governor and First Lady's Conference on Women.
fresno, benefit, local
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors 9 min ago
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe 40 min ago
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide 33 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos