Armed Robbery Suspect Shot in Tranquillity by Fresno County Sheriff's Deputies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An armed robbery suspect is recovering in the hospital Thursday after being shot by a Fresno County Sheriff's Deputy in town of Tranquility.
The robbery happened at the Linda Terra Farm on South James Road. The shooting took place about a mile west of the scene of the robbery.
Sheriff's deputies say it all started before 5 p.m. Wednesday evening at the farm.
The suspect approached a 45-year-old field worker -- took out a handgun and fired off a round into the air before stealing the victim's personal items.
The suspect was chased for more than a mile until deputies and anti-gang officers were able to surround the suspect.
"Instead of responding to their commands, the suspect reached for a handgun that was in his waistband. At that point he was shot more than one time by one of the deputies," said Chris Curtice with the Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office.
The suspect was taken into custody and was airlifted to a hospital; his condition has not been released. Investigators say it appears the suspect and the victim did not know each other.
tranquility, fresno county, community regional medical center, fresno county sheriff department, shooting, crimetracker, local
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 22 hurt 19 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network