Armed Robbery Suspect Shot in Tranquillity by Fresno County Sheriff's Deputies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An armed robbery suspect is recovering in the hospital Thursday after being shot by a Fresno County Sheriff's Deputy in town of Tranquility.
The robbery happened at the Linda Terra Farm on South James Road. The shooting took place about a mile west of the scene of the robbery.
Sheriff's deputies say it all started before 5 p.m. Wednesday evening at the farm.
The suspect approached a 45-year-old field worker -- took out a handgun and fired off a round into the air before stealing the victim's personal items.
The suspect was chased for more than a mile until deputies and anti-gang officers were able to surround the suspect.
"Instead of responding to their commands, the suspect reached for a handgun that was in his waistband. At that point he was shot more than one time by one of the deputies," said Chris Curtice with the Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office.
The suspect was taken into custody and was airlifted to a hospital; his condition has not been released. Investigators say it appears the suspect and the victim did not know each other.
tranquility, fresno county, community regional medical center, fresno county sheriff department, shooting, crimetracker, local
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo...
52 min ago