Truck crashes into group of children killing 12-year-old boy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Highway patrol officers are searching for the driver who crashed into a group of children in Fresno County, killing a 12-year-old boy.
The accident happened just before midnight at South and Dewolf near Fowler.
The highway patrol says an Isuzu truck was trying to pass another car when it lost control and crashed into a group of five kids who were walking along the roadway.
The 12-year-old boy died at the scene.
Another boy was injured and is now being treated at Community Regional Medical Center in Downtown Fresno.
Shortly after the crash some of the children's parents showed up at the scene.
"One of the children we believed called the family on their mobile phone and some of the family showed up and were understandably quite upset. One of the children had passed away and as anyone can imagine, that can be a stressful time for anyone, especially a parent," California Highway Patrol Sgt. John Johnson said.
The driver of the Isuzu pickup ran off after the crash. The highway patrol is still searching for him.
fresno county, auto, community regional medical center, local
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos