Free Admission to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks to Offer FREE Park Admission in Celebration of National Park Week and National Junior Ranger Day.
Entrance fees to be waived April 17 through 25, 2010
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks will be celebrating National Park Week and National Junior Ranger Day by waiving park entrance fees and offering a variety of special activities.
This year, the National Park Service is joining forces with the White House initiative Let's Move! to help families get fit. With hundreds of trails ranging from easy meandering river strolls to tough alpine summits, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are just the places to start or continue a commitment to family fitness.
Join a park ranger for a guided walk or bring the family out to Junior Ranger Day and get to know your parks for free!
National Park Week Events Calendar: Sequoia National Park
April 17, 2010
Marble Falls Hike, 10am: 4 hours/3.7 miles (one way), meet at the Potwisha Overflow Parking Area Oak Woodlands Ramble, 11am: 1.5 hour/1.5 miles, meet at the Paradise Creek Trailhead (allow 20 minutes walk from the parking area at Hospital Rock Picnic Area) River Walk, 3pm: 1.5 hours/1.5 miles, Meet at the Potwisha Overflow Parking Area
April 18, 2010
Beginning Birders Walk, 8am: 2 hours/1 mile, meet at the Marble Falls Trailhead Oak Woodlands Ramble, 2pm: 1.5 hours/1.5 miles, meet at Potwisha Overflow Parking Area
April 24, 2010
National Junior Ranger Day, 10am to 2pm: FREE shuttle from Ash Mountain Administration Area National Park staff and partners will host a variety of exploration stations that include: mule packing, journal writing, bear ecology and much more! Junior Rangers will get a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the work of a Park Ranger while earning their own National Junior Ranger Day patch.
April 25, 2010
Beginning Birders Walk, 8am: 2 hours/1 mile, meet at the Sequoia National Park sign Oak Woodlands Ramble, 2pm: 1.5 hours/1.5 miles, meet at Potwisha Overflow Parking Area
Kings Canyon National Park
April 17, 18, 24, and 25, 2010
Grant Tree Walks 2pm: 1/2 mile/1 hour, meet at the Grant Tree Parking Area. Walks take place rain or shine (or snow)
April 17, 2010
Evening Program: Little Giants of the Forest, 7:30pm, Lobby of the John Muir Lodge.
April 24, 2010
Evening Program: Got Milk? Mammals of Kings Canyon, 7:30pm, Lobby of the John Muir Lodge
For more information about any of these programs, please call 1-559-565-3341 or visit us online at i www.nps.gov/seki.
sequoia national park, kings canyon national park, local
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno