Baby Murder Suspect Megan Martzen Pleads Not Guilty
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The babysitter accused of killing a baby girl in her care says she's not guilty and now, her attorney says some members of law enforcement will vouch for her. There's another twist in the court proceedings as well.
19-year-old Megan Martzen is charged with murder and assault of a child in the death of a 17-month-old girl. She's also almost seven months pregnant herself.
Martzen has been locked up at the Fresno County Jail since Tuesday night on a $2-million bail.
It usually takes months or even years for murder trials to work through the system, so her attorney will have to find another way to get her out in time to give birth.
Megan Martzen stood by her attorney in court Thursday, her green jumpsuit covering signs she is in her third trimester of pregnancy.
She's about two months from bringing a new life into the world at the same time she's accused of ending another life after 17-months.
Ella Van Leeuwen had a fractured skull when she arrived at the coroner's office in Feb. 2009. An autopsy determined she died of blunt force trauma. But Martzen's attorney says his client wasn't capable of causing those injuries.
"She's always been very caring with children, very patient," said Jeff Hammerschmidt. "She's babysat for various families, including members of law enforcement who've entrusted their children to her so it seems completely out of character that she would ever even consider harming a child."
Martzen's family can't raise the $2-million bail right now. Her attorney says it's too much because she's not a flight risk.
"She and her husband started a family and she'll be having a baby soon, so that's not conduct you would expect of somebody who was a guilty state of mind," Hammerschmidt said.
Martzen stayed in town during a 14-month investigation and initially cooperated with investigators in Reedley. But police say she wouldn't answer any questions when they followed up.
Martzen has another hearing next month. Her attorney says he'll try to get her bail reduced then so she doesn't have her baby in jail.
court, crimetracker, murder, fresno county, reedley, local, corin hoggard
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos