National Day of Prayer brings religious faiths together in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Religious faiths came together in Fresno Thursday, observing the National Day of Prayer. But a judge's ruling recently cast a cloud of doubt over whether some of these events are constitutional. But the legal uncertainty did not have impact on the local observances.
St. John's Catholic Cathedral was filled with calls to prayer from different faiths. Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Christian, are among those taking part in the National Day of Prayer sponsored by the Interfaith Alliance of Central California.
Rabbi Robert Ourach with the Temple Beth Israel said, "We are very grateful to be able to have a moment like this in our community when all faith groups have an opportunity to come together."
Seyed Ali Ghazvini Imam:" Embrace each other. This is a blessed opportunity to get to know one another -- bridge the gap between us and establish unity, and brotherhood," said Imam Seyed Ali-Ghazvini with the Islamic Cultural Center.
The Interfaith gathering contrasted with the strictly Christian observance of the National Day of Prayer held nearby at Fresno City Hall. There, representatives of protestant churches, and city and county political leaders espoused their faith.
The mixture of religion and politics on the National Scale prompted a recent Federal Decision by a Federal Judge in Wisconsin which found the President's Declaration of a National Day of Prayer violated the first amendments separation of church and state.
President Obama ordered the case appealed and ABC 30 Legal Analyst Tony Capozzi thinks it will be overturned. "I feel very confidently it will be reversed. I don't think this proclamation; this establishment of a Day of Prayer is establishing a religion."
Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin attended the Interfaith event, and addressed the crowd at the Christian event at City Hall. "I think it's important to remember that religion is a deep part of our heritage and our culture here."
local, gene haagenson
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked 21 min ago
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer 6 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder 8 min ago
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt