Meth, handgun, and assault rifle seized in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A two month undercover investigation by the Fresno County Sheriff's Office has taken down a sizeable methamphetamine ring.
Undercover deputies bought five pounds of crystal meth Wednesday night near Fowler. They arrested five men who they believe were selling drugs from San Jose to Eastern Fresno County. Investigators also recovered a gun in the car where the drugs were found.
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims says the suspects carried the meth in a "Superman backpack" that also had diapers in it to conceal the drugs.
"We actually have a drug trafficking organization connected to Mexico. We found Western Union receipts where money was wired to Mexico. They were Mexican nationals that were arrested here illegally."
Deputies also recovered three more pounds of meth and an assault rifle while serving a related search warrant in Orange Cove. Investigators say the suspects will likely face federal charges.
crimetracker, fresno county, fowler, sheriff margaret mims, fresno county sheriff department, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash 28 min ago
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building 32 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week