Bass Lake drowning victim identified
BASS LAKE, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Madera County Sheriff's Department has identified the man who drowned yesterday at Bass Lake. The victim is 21-year old Arturo Luna of Bellflower.
Lake patrol said drownings of any kind are rare.
Action on Bass Lake Sunday was quiet. That's in stark contrast to the number of people visiting this recreational area Saturday and the drowning of 21-year old Arturo Luna who was visiting with friends from Southern California.
"There's really no way to protect people from themselves in that situation. It's more a matter of realizing that you're not in a controlled environment," said Sgt. Jim Bernardi.
Bernardi said they are still investigating what led to the drowning in a swim area. Saturday evening Adam Cox said he tried reviving Luna before paramedics arrived.
"It's different. It's a different experience. I've never had to do anything like that before," said Cox.
This is the first drowning on Bass Lake for 2010. Last year there was only one. Lake patrol admits that this is a pretty rare event.
Bernardi: "This is my fourth year and my first two years we had no drownings."
Bernardi said the most common accidents on the lake involve water skiing. During an average season he and his two deputies will respond to 5 or 6 life or death water rescues.
Bernardi said the area where Luna drown was one of the safest coves, which is why he advises common sense while boating or playing in the water to prevent accidents. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures as the saying goes."
madera county, bass lake, local, john-thomas kobos
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno 30 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard