Pregnant murder suspect released from jail after posting bail
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- 19-year-old Megan Martzen is accused of killing a 17 month old while she was caring for the child last year. Martzen is 7 months pregnant.
Martzen and her family had been fighting for weeks to try and get her out of what they were calling an unsafe environment at the jail.
Thursday night she was back home in Reedley where her attorney says things will be much better for her and the unborn baby.
19-year-old Megan Martzen was released from the Fresno county jail Thursday after posting 2 million dollars bail.
Her attorney Jeff Hammerschmidt says his client will be in much better shape back home in Reedley.
"I think her pregnancy will go much better now. She'll be able to relax a bit more and get her rest. Probably eat considerably better than what she was getting at the jail."
Hammerschmidt requested a reduction on the amount of bail in court. But it was denied by a judge Thursday.
Around 6 p.m. the family paid a $160,000 to a bondsman -- allowing her release from jail.
Since her arrest in late April, Martzen's defense team has complained of what they called substandard conditions at the facility.
Hammerscmidt says both baby and mother were at risk. She's now seven months pregnant.
"Actually she had gained weight, but lost it in jail and was down to her pre-pregnancy weight. And fotunately the doctor who checked her out said her baby's doing fine," Jeff Hammerscmidt said.
Reedley police say Martzen was responsible for the death little Ella Van Leeuwen.
Detectives say the 17-month-old died while in Martzen's care.
Martzen told investigators the death was an accident. But an autopsy report shows Ella Van Leeuwen died of "blunt force trauma" to the head and other injuries to the body.
Martzen's next court appearance is scheduled for July 22.
Hammerschmidt says the more than 100 people from the community pitched in to help pay for her bail bond.
murder, reedley, court, local, tommy tran
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword 1 min ago
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos