Budget Hearings Wrap Up
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Council Members agreed with the Mayors plan to take two hundred thousand dollars from the Measure C Transportation tax to pay the electric bill to keep 10 thousand street lights on.
They also agreed to find $200,000 from unknown sources, to make pay for cosmetic improvements in the Tower District. Those were pushed by Council Member Blong Xiong.
"The main part is right off Wishon and Olive where they are going to do some new street landscaping."
The council refused to restore nearly 30 thousand dollars in funds to help organize and screen volunteer school crossing guards.
The costs of the program had been shared between the City, the County and Fresno Unified. But the program had been dropped by the local volunteer agency "HandsOn" after 30 years.
Michael O'Hare recently left HandsOn and formed "Safe2School, " in hopes of taking over the crossing guard program. But hasn't found any funding sources.
"Right now I don't think there's anybody. That's what's scary about it." He said.
O'Hare thinks the issue has been lost in the shuffle.
But Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin believes her volunteer initiative, called "ServeFresno" can help.
"I think ServeFresno is ripe to provide volunteer capacity to fill in for some of the funding that may have been available in the past for the City. " She said.
In other action, the Council voted to provide the Fresno Historical Society with a token, one thousand dollars...to tide them over until things get better.
The council is expected to adopt a budget on Friday. Then it goes to the Mayor, and work on balancing it will continue through the summer.
fresno, budget cuts, larry westerlund, local, gene haagenson
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 58 min ago
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week 41 min ago
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals