Immigration debate reaches Clovis
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Members of the Clovis City Council took on the immigration debate Monday night, but decided against taking a formal stance in support of immigration reform.
On Thursday, The Council of Fresno County Governments, or COG, will vote whether to send a letter to the U.S. Attorney General supporting immigration reform and opposing Arizona's controversial immigration law.
Monday, Clovis city leaders decided they want nothing to do with the letter. "The City of Clovis has enough challenges on its own with having to worry about what they're doing in Arizona or the federal government," said Clovis City Councilmember Bob Whalen.
Two members of the public who addressed the council agreed. "I don't see where Fresno or Clovis or any other city in the Central Valley has any right telling Arizona what to do to protect their citizens," said Clovis resident Doug Drozen.
"For the council to get involved in issues in Arizona I think is far reaching to what your duties are to the citizens of Clovis," resident Paul Hinkle told council members.
Clovis Mayor Pro-tem Jose Flores was the only council member to support the letter, saying something needs to be done. "Clovis is not an island. What happens in our community, what happens in our region, impacts us," said Flores.
Approval by COG requires a majority vote by its 15 member cities and the County of Fresno. The vote must also represent 40 percent of the county's population.
clovis, fresno county, immigration reform, local, amanda perez
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea 8 min ago
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis 35 min ago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- President Obama remarks on the situation in...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos