Fresno man drowns in a private lake near Sanger
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Dive teams have recovered the body of a man who drowned after his boat tipped over on a pond in Fresno County.
The 19 or 20 year old Fresno man was in a fishing boat with four friends outside of singer when they say someone stood up on the boat causing it to tip over.
The four men were able to swim to shore, but the victim was apparently unable to swim. His friend, Baldemar Rodriguez struggled to save him. "I went back to try to save him and he brought me by the shoulders. He was pulling me down to the water too. I was down for 7- 8 seconds, I couldn't breathe no more. So I just swimmed up. I turned back and I saw him sink down. That's the last thing I see of him. "
Rodriguez said if he and the others had known his friend couldn't swim, they wouldn't have taken him along.
The lake is about 40-feet deep and is adjacent to the Kings River. It's an old gravel pit known locally as Douglas Lake.
We are withholding the name of the young man until family members are notified.
sanger, fresno county, drowning, local, gene haagenson
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway 57 min ago
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...