Fresno man drowns in a private lake near Sanger
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Dive teams have recovered the body of a man who drowned after his boat tipped over on a pond in Fresno County.
The 19 or 20 year old Fresno man was in a fishing boat with four friends outside of singer when they say someone stood up on the boat causing it to tip over.
The four men were able to swim to shore, but the victim was apparently unable to swim. His friend, Baldemar Rodriguez struggled to save him. "I went back to try to save him and he brought me by the shoulders. He was pulling me down to the water too. I was down for 7- 8 seconds, I couldn't breathe no more. So I just swimmed up. I turned back and I saw him sink down. That's the last thing I see of him. "
Rodriguez said if he and the others had known his friend couldn't swim, they wouldn't have taken him along.
The lake is about 40-feet deep and is adjacent to the Kings River. It's an old gravel pit known locally as Douglas Lake.
We are withholding the name of the young man until family members are notified.
sanger, fresno county, drowning, local, gene haagenson
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits