Two more arrested in Merced Co. murder-for-money case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County Sheriff's Deputies have arrested two more suspects in connection to a murder-for-money case in the North Valley.
16-year-old Edgar Garcia and his 15-year-old girlfriend are now in custody for killing the girl's stepfather. We're showing Garcia's picture because he's being tried as an adult. Deputies arrested the victim's wife Laura Hernandez, and his step-son, Erick Hernandez Camarillo last week.
All four are accused of murdering 40-year-old Alberto Macias to collect nearly one million dollars in life insurance money. Court documents claim Garcia was the shooter. But detectives say the victim's wife was the mastermind.
Sgt. Jason Goins with the Merced County Sheriff's Department said, "We can't go into depth regarding our investigation, but obviously she is the one who brought her children into this."
Court documents show Hernandez tested positive for gunshot residue on her hands. The records also include several text messages from Hernandez's phone to her children's phones in the days leading up to the murder. The texts appear to give information about when Macias is sleeping and when the kids should plan to arrive at the home.
murder, shooting, merced county, merced, dos palos, local, sara sandrik
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 26 min ago
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law