Two more arrested in Merced Co. murder-for-money case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County Sheriff's Deputies have arrested two more suspects in connection to a murder-for-money case in the North Valley.
16-year-old Edgar Garcia and his 15-year-old girlfriend are now in custody for killing the girl's stepfather. We're showing Garcia's picture because he's being tried as an adult. Deputies arrested the victim's wife Laura Hernandez, and his step-son, Erick Hernandez Camarillo last week.
All four are accused of murdering 40-year-old Alberto Macias to collect nearly one million dollars in life insurance money. Court documents claim Garcia was the shooter. But detectives say the victim's wife was the mastermind.
Sgt. Jason Goins with the Merced County Sheriff's Department said, "We can't go into depth regarding our investigation, but obviously she is the one who brought her children into this."
Court documents show Hernandez tested positive for gunshot residue on her hands. The records also include several text messages from Hernandez's phone to her children's phones in the days leading up to the murder. The texts appear to give information about when Macias is sleeping and when the kids should plan to arrive at the home.
murder, shooting, merced county, merced, dos palos, local, sara sandrik
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier 6 min ago
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Air National Guard honors city of Madera
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Good Sports: Cheerforce Vengeance