Man drowned trying to swim across Kings River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fourth of July outing turned tragic Sunday, after a man drowned while trying to swim across the Kings River.
It happened at Cricket Hollow Park in Reedley.
Police say the 24-year-old victim tried to swim across the river from Reedley Beach, but went under near Olsen Bridge.
After losing sight of him, family members flagged down a passing boater who spotted the man face down in the water.
The man was pulled to shore and emergency crews performed CPR.
He was then taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
reedley, drowning, local
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 8 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's