Injured soldier gets married on July 4
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fourth of July holiday has an extra special significance for a south valley soldier injured in Afghanistan.
K.C. Mitchell married his fiancé Sunday evening, and on world news, the couple explained why they chose Fourth of July as their wedding day.
"I didn't care if it was Wednesday, I was like, I want to get married on the fourth of July. It's like the most special day ever," Malori Williamson
"The 4th of July is just a great day period. You celebrate the fallen, you celebrate the ones who are overseas, and you celebrate the ones who are home. But when you celebrate the fallen, you're having a great time. You're celebrating them in a happy way," K.C. Mitchell said.
Action news cameras captured Mitchell's homecoming last weekend at Fresno Yosemite International Airport as the Exeter native returned to the valley after three months of treatment at Walter Reed Medical Center.
Mitchell was injured back in April, when an explosive device blew up under his Humvee.
After a 30 day leave Mitchell and his new bride will return to Walter Reed to continue his recovery.
fresno, fresno county, local
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76