Friant Road construction causes traffic trouble
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The morning commute is getting tricky for people in North Fresno. Friant Road construction started this week and the road will cause some problems for a couple months.
From Woodward Park, you can see Friant Road is closed. Police say drivers are starting to get used to the closure, but a lot of people are still trying to cheat a little.
Road closed signs are blocking about 26,000 drivers from taking their normal route southbound on Friant Road. Instead, traffic is backing up on detours, like the neighborhood just east of Woodward Park.
Traffic police say the detours are also tempting drivers to try to make up for lost time. "We've had people going around the line of cars and traveling in the bike lane to pass vehicles, actually tailgating a bicyclist. We're seeing a lot of stop sign running and red light running and then speeding through the residentials as people try to find shortcuts," said Sgt. Richard Tucker with the Fresno Police Dept.
More than ten officers are patrolling the construction area, ticketing drivers for the worst violations. "We know it's inconvenient because it's changed your routine. What we're asking people to do, as hard as it is, get up 30 minutes early."
This part of the Friant Road project is expected to last until mid-August, but the traffic trouble's not done then. after that, crews will go to work between Audubon and Fresno, and then between Fresno and HWY 41.
It could be October by the time everything's back to normal. In the meantime, you can detour down Millbrook or Cedar or try to get on Highway 41 in Madera County. It's not exactly convenient, but it could save you a ticket.
traffic, fresno north, fresno, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 16 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 17 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 46 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed