The campaign is over, only the signs remain
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Most of the signs still up are for the 19th Congressional District Primary Race, between Republicans, Jeff Denham, Richard Pombo and Jim Patterson. A Fresno City Ordinance allows candidates to put their signs up 90 days before an election, but they must come down within 15 days after the vote. The primary was June 8th.
City Code Enforcement Officer Esko Siipola says the rules are often broken. "Typically before a campaign we'll get signs that are put up too early and then obviously, the bigger the campaign the more complaints we receive after the allotted time frame in our municipal code."
The city generally relies on complaints from citizens before removing signs ... city crews will remove those on public property if they come across them. Siipola says signs on private property are a little different. "If it's on a private property and we receive a complaint or two for example then we could send a notice to the property owner to remove that and put a time frame behind that."
If they don't it's a two hundred dollar fine. But it rarely comes to that. If there's a sign that's bugging you, and it's on public property, Siipola says you can remove it. "If it's on public property, pretty much anyone would have the right to take that sign down."
Anyone with concern about a sign can contact the City of Fresno Code Enforcement Office.
elections, fresno, fresno county, jeff denham, jim patterson, richard pombo, local, gene haagenson
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy 13 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident