Fresno man killed while long boarding on Auberry Road
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno man lost his life in the Fresno County foothills this past weekend, while taking part in an extreme sport.
41-year-old Sean Smith was long boarding with his friends on Auberry Road in Eastern Fresno County when he collided with an oncoming car.
Friends say Smith tried to pass his other buddies on a hair-pin turn. Long boards are long and narrow, built for more speed than traditional skateboards.
Smith and his friends liked to long board all over Fresno County. They posted videos of themselves whizzing down spiral parking garages and mountain roads.
Nearby resident Jennifer Fleming says she had seen the group on Auberry Road several times before. But Sunday their weekly trek turned deadly.
Fleming said, "Just seen them going back and forth just skating ... having a good time and then I noticed a lot of cars slowing down and then we came out to open up the gate for someone and noticed there was an accident and saw the helicopter."
Friends say they always wore protective head gear and stayed on the right-hand side of the road ... but the sport he loved so much ended up taking his life.
fresno county, auberry, local, liz harrison
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 51 min ago
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno 20 min ago
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 27 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies