Lawsuits expected in Fresno bus crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Highway Patrol report says Sylvia Garay, the driver of the SUV that overturned on Highway 99 and her two friends survived the initial rollover. They were still alive, getting out of the overturned vehicle when the vehicle was hit by a Greyhound bus. The impact with the bus occurred three minutes after their initial accident. ABC 30 Legal Analyst Tony Capozzi believes that space in time raises significant questions. "Could that Greyhound bus driver have time to react. Should he have reacted. Was he going too fast?
After the CHP revealed Garay was under the influence of alcohol many may have assumed she was responsible for the bus crash. But an attorney for the family of Epifania Solis believes the focus will be on Greyhound. Attorney Paul Kiesel spoke to us by phone from his office in Beverly Hills. "Certainly doing an investigation and determining how this Greyhound struck a disabled vehicle at speed with passengers, who the bus company owes the highest duty of care to, is certainly something they are going to be looking at very closely."
Both Kiesel and Capozzi believe numerous lawsuits will be filed. Capozzi believes the owners of the SUV, Sylvia Garay's parents, could be sued by the families of her friends in the SUV and by the passengers on the bus. But Capozzi believes Garay and the others can also sue Greyhound. "The ironic thing about this case is, the person driving the SUV the person supposedly under the influence of alcohol has a right, and could sue, her family could sue Greyhound for causing her death."
fresno county, fresno, greyhound, local, gene haagenson
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 31 min ago
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- World leaders, South Africans honor Nelson...
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos