Ice cream store robbery; high speed chase through Clovis and Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Clovis Police have arrested a man accused of robbing a Baskin Robbins ice-cream shop and then crashing into a parked car in Northeast Fresno.
It happened just after 10 p.m. Tuesday night at the Baskin Robbins store on Clovis and Shaw.
Clovis Police say an armed man wearing a mask went into the store just after closing time. That's when they say the man then ordered all the store employees into the back freezer before stealing money from a safe.
Clovis police arrived at the scene just as the man tried to leave. That started a chase through Clovis and into Fresno. The chase ended a few minutes later in Northeast Fresno -- in a neighborhood near Sierra Vista and Price.
Police say the Baskin Robbins robbery suspect hit a light pole, sheering it off the ground before crashing into a parked car. Some neighbors saw the entire accident.
"We saw this guy coming real fast down the street -- at least 100 miles per hour. And then I heard him throwing his e-brake as I saw him approaching his turn. And I was all like, what? And then poof -- crash! And I was like whoa! And I ran down here and the door was already open and everybody says he went that way. It's crazy!" said neighbor Stasi Longoria.
The man tried to run from police again. But finally around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday morning, Fresno Police officers spotted the man just a few blocks away at Maple and Menlo. Fresno Police then turned him over to Clovis Police.
crimetracker, robbery, police chase, clovis, fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well 23 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered