Ice cream store robbery; high speed chase through Clovis and Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Clovis Police have arrested a man accused of robbing a Baskin Robbins ice-cream shop and then crashing into a parked car in Northeast Fresno.
It happened just after 10 p.m. Tuesday night at the Baskin Robbins store on Clovis and Shaw.
Clovis Police say an armed man wearing a mask went into the store just after closing time. That's when they say the man then ordered all the store employees into the back freezer before stealing money from a safe.
Clovis police arrived at the scene just as the man tried to leave. That started a chase through Clovis and into Fresno. The chase ended a few minutes later in Northeast Fresno -- in a neighborhood near Sierra Vista and Price.
Police say the Baskin Robbins robbery suspect hit a light pole, sheering it off the ground before crashing into a parked car. Some neighbors saw the entire accident.
"We saw this guy coming real fast down the street -- at least 100 miles per hour. And then I heard him throwing his e-brake as I saw him approaching his turn. And I was all like, what? And then poof -- crash! And I was like whoa! And I ran down here and the door was already open and everybody says he went that way. It's crazy!" said neighbor Stasi Longoria.
The man tried to run from police again. But finally around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday morning, Fresno Police officers spotted the man just a few blocks away at Maple and Menlo. Fresno Police then turned him over to Clovis Police.
crimetracker, robbery, police chase, clovis, fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local
- Carstens Fire blamed on unattended campfire
- Sierra Fire near Auberry at 50 percent containment
- Firefighters save home north of Clovis
- Resources stretched thin as fires ignite around the Valley
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Car Crashes into a Visalia Chipotle
- Man finds Reedley mother's stolen ashes
- Police identify Central Fresno murder suspect
- Smoke from fires may cause health risks
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'
- Court: Arizona citizenship proof law illegal