52-year-old Merced County man shot and killed, two teens arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley man is dead after detectives say he was shot four times in a random attack.
It happened just after midnight on Childs Avenue near Highway 99 in Merced County.
Sheriff's deputies have arrested 18-year-old Marco Garibay and another 18-year-old identified as Carlos Castillo for the shooting.
Detectives say the 52-year-old victim was walking to a nearby store when the two suspects shot him in the head and chest. Sheriff Mark Pazin says the victim had no gang ties and did nothing to provoke the gunmen.
Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin said, "There may have been a component of an armed robbery, but even then nothing was stolen from the victim ... shot four times, for no reason."
A witness who spotted the victim lying in the road told two nearby Merced Police Officers about the shooting.
The officers recognized one of the suspects running from the scene and contacted the sheriff's office as the shooting happened just outside city limits.
merced county, merced, merced county sheriff department, crimetracker, shooting, local
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 25 min ago
- AP: FBI investigates prison company 9 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase