52-year-old Merced County man shot and killed, two teens arrested
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley man is dead after detectives say he was shot four times in a random attack.
It happened just after midnight on Childs Avenue near Highway 99 in Merced County.
Sheriff's deputies have arrested 18-year-old Marco Garibay and another 18-year-old identified as Carlos Castillo for the shooting.
Detectives say the 52-year-old victim was walking to a nearby store when the two suspects shot him in the head and chest. Sheriff Mark Pazin says the victim had no gang ties and did nothing to provoke the gunmen.
Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin said, "There may have been a component of an armed robbery, but even then nothing was stolen from the victim ... shot four times, for no reason."
A witness who spotted the victim lying in the road told two nearby Merced Police Officers about the shooting.
The officers recognized one of the suspects running from the scene and contacted the sheriff's office as the shooting happened just outside city limits.
merced county, merced, merced county sheriff department, crimetracker, shooting, local
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos